A simplified approach to lead paint and corrosion control
How to stop rust & lead paint now while saving 53% with Rust Grip®
You need less man power, less hours and less materials to
permanently encapsulate lead paint and rust.
No white metal blasting, No hazardous material containment, Only one coating
Dear Engineer or Facility Manager,
In a slow economy we all need to find ways to do more with less. Rust Grip’s patented coating technology gives you the ability to permanently encapsulate lead paint without the added expense of white metal blasting, elaborate containment systems and disposal and multi part coatings. Rust and Flash rusting work to your advantage by providing Rust Grip an avenue to embed into the substrate, unlike other products. Rust Grip helps you work smarter, not harder.
Rust Grip® Strengthens Concrete and Steel
Georgia – Cobb County Bridge. A county bridge was downgraded from a 10 ton load capacity to a 3 ton load capacity, due to rust and deterioration of the substructure. After replacing some of the deteriorated substructure, the entire steel and concrete structure was coated with Rust Grip. The states re-certification test upgraded the bridge to a 21 ton load capacity. The bridge superintendent stated Rust Grip caused much increased load capacity because it strengthened both the concrete and steel.
Transportation Departments Use Rust Grip®
What Is Rust Grip®?
RUST GRIP® is a metallic-based, moisture-cure polyurethane, encapsulating coating that will coat over and seal most surfaces against corrosion, weathering, and physical wear. RUST GRIP® is a “three-coats-in-one system” that acts as a primer, intermediate, and topcoat. In normal use, RUST GRIP® will apply over a surface and immediately find and fill the pores of the surface. Within an hour of application, it will begin to cure.
During this cure cycle, RUST GRIP® will pull moisture from the air and begin to microscopically swell within the individual pores as it hardens.
This process anchors the coating and seals against any possibility of air, moisture, or any minerals attacking the surface and causing any further corrosion or penetration of any kind.
It solves common MCU problems of pin holes and sag resistance. Application is two coats, wet on tacky. This eliminates pinholes by using the second coat to fill any that may occur in the first. Sagging is controlled by applying two thinner coats that act as one thicker coat.
Rust Grip® penetrates directly into and through 1/16th” of surface rust, swells, anchors, and encapsulates so that the surface can not breathe, can not get moisture, and can not oxidize again. Where there is no moisture, there is no corrosion. Rust Grip® will not only provide an outstanding, long term solution against corrosion, it will tremendously reduce the impact to the environment and exposure to workers and other people to hazardous materials such as lead based paint.
Surface Coatings “Stick” but RUST GRIP® Anchors
A surface coating does not have the solvent carrier to allow penetration into the pores of a substrate and to carry the body of the coating with it. A surface coating will simply adhere to anything above the pore area and attach to the profile or roughness on the surface. This works well in most areas. But when the surface of the coating is exposed to weathering and elements over time, the exposure increases the permeability of a surface coating and allows moisture (in the form of vapor or humidity), salts, and acids to penetrate into the pores of the substrate.
As a result, corrosion forms and migrates under the coating itself.
In addition, the corrosion process creates off-gassing that causes pressure that may be as high as 1200 psi. Surface coatings, when totally cured, have only a surface tensile strength of 600-800 psi. Therefore, as pressure increases from the off-gassing, the surface coating will separate and lift from the surface exposing an already rusted surface underneath.
RUST GRIP® is made with special solvent carriers that allow the coating to penetrate into the pores carrying the body of the coating with it. Once the body of the coating is in the pores, it begins to absorb the moisture from the atmosphere and gases itself or does a microscopic swell inside the pores.
USAFA anchor pin assembly complete This action allows RUST GRIP® to become part of the actual surface of the substrate, which is different than most all other industrial coatings. When cured, RUST GRIP® maintains an extremely low permeability which eliminates the penetration of moisture, salts, and acids and the opportunity for corrosion to develop.
RUST GRIP® is an aromatic urethane with a high molecular weight and is extremely tough and resistant to acids. Its non-leafing metallics allow an encapsulation of the surface and add additional toughness and UV control to its surface. Because RUST GRIP® hardens to a minimum surface tensile strength of 6780 psi, any pressure that may develop from any off-gassing from remaining rust on the surface is not sufficiently strong to cause RUST GRIP® to separate from the surface of the substrate.
RUST GRIP® requires minimal surface preparation and NO WHITE METAL SANDBLASTING, although any pack rust or scale (which will hold moisture) should be removed by a hammer or hand-tool. The surface must be free of all grease, oils, and salts and must be completely dry before coating. Any remaining tight rust or flash-rust will not cause a problem and, in most cases, is beneficial in creating a tough, durable coating.
Rust Grip out performs other coatings
Other rust coatings showed some or complete failure after only 500hrs of Salt Fog testing (ASTM B 117). Rust Grip showed no signs of failure after 15,000hrs of the same test.
One of the great benefits of Rust Grip is it’s adhesion. It does not lift off if there is a knick or scratch. ASTM B 117 test results gave it a perfect “10” after 15,000 hours in the salt fog chamber. That means you can rely on Rust Grip to not fail in high use situations. It will touch up and use the rust inside the scratch to better anchor to the substrate.
This is an example posted on a competitors web site with the following commentary:
“The Rust Bullet ® panel (number 2), the Rust-oleum® Cold Galvanizing Compound panel (number 5), the Wasser® Brand System panel (number 6), and the POR-15® System panel (number 8), exhibited corrosion along the scribe lines with undercutting of less than 3/16 of an inch. The Rust-oleum® Rusty Metal Primer panel (number 1), the Rust-oleum® Rust Reformer panel (number 3), the Zynolyte Urethane with Zinc-Chromate Primer panel (number 4), the Naval Jelly® Rust Neutralizer panel (number 7), and the Hammerite® Rust Cap panel (number 9), exhibited coating failure over the entire surface of each panel. These panels were considered complete failures and were eliminated from further testing. The uncoated control panel (number 10) was so severely corroded it was of no further value and was also eliminated”.
• Excellent for minimally prepared surfaces, ie. no white sandblasting is needed
• Protects steel, aluminum, concrete, wood, fiberglass, lead-based paints, and other substrates.
• Extremely tough, it makes an excellent floor coating. Hardens to 6780 psi surface tensile strength.
• Patented for encapsulating bio-hazardous materials (asbestos, lead-based paint, and many hazardous materials) and existing rusted surfaces.
• Submergible in 100% nitric acid without any effects. Designed to withstand acids, salts, and caustics with no loss of integrity.
• Rated as a Class A fire coating. In case of fire, RUST GRIP® will help to prevent spread of, and will not contribute to, the fire.
• Prevents water penetration. Performs as a permanent moisture barrier that stops water penetration and prevents surface deterioration, contamination, and formation of mold and mildew. Not meant for underwater use.
• USDA approved for use in and around food preparation areas.
• 15+ year lifespan under normal conditions.
Encapsulate and seal lead-based paints, asbestos, or other hazardous materials.
Rust Grip® is UV-controlled and is not affected by hostile environments. Overcoat rusted areas to prevent and control further corrosion. Rust Grip® will seal out any contact with moisture and air or chemical pollutants that breed corrosion activity
• Prime metal with Rust Grip® before over-coating
• Protect floors to prevent wear and damage, whether concrete, metal or other materials
• Anti-slip coating when combined with aggregates, for use around high traffic areas
• Protection from acid splash or pooling. Rust Grip® will not allow acids to penetrate to affect the surface
• Proven/tested under ASTM as a “water-barrier” over concrete, block and masonry.
• Protect against corrosion and weathering. RUST GRIP® is UV-controlled and is not affected by most caustic environments.
• Coat rusted areas to stop and control corrosion activity. RUST GRIP® will seal out moisture and air or chemical pollutants that cause corrosion activity.
• Permanent moisture membrane that stops water penetration and surface deterioration.
• Encapsulate lead-based paints, asbestos, or other hazardous materials.
• Protect against splash or pooling of most acids and chemicals on surfaces that would otherwise deteriorate.
• Prime metal before top coating.
• Protect floors and surfaces from wear and damage.
• Non-skid coating when combined with aggregates for use around high traffic areas where durability is crucial.
Better Painting is a full service painting contractor for residential, commercial and industrial painting. We are a certified dealer and applicator for Superior Products International, II Inc.’s line of commercial and industrial paint and coatings. We are also certified by SIKKENS and recommend PPG residential and commercial paint and coatings.