Protection, performance and good looks…
Enhanced Safety, Comfort
and Building Performance
Super Therm® won the 2011 E. Crone Knoy award from SSPC for Coating Innovation by reducing surface temperatures at the Hoover Dam Bypass/Colorado River Bridge
Protection during high fire danger
Better science reveals a way to protect you and your home from fire and other weather events by using a coating technology named Super Therm. UL, Factory Mutual and NASA performed fire rating and subsequent toxicity test on Super Therm. The “Flame Spread Index” and “Smoke Spread Index” was “0” (out of 100). That is the highest classification available, a class “A” fire resistance rating. According to the report filed by NASA,
“SUPER THERM rated excellent in absolutely no contribution to flame or fire. This is an unusual rating for any paint product as most will score from a low of 15 up to 88. The “A” classification is the highest classification that can be achieved. This result definitely shows the quality of SUPER THERM. NASA is currently so impressed with SUPER THERM that they are now establishing testing in additional areas of need for the space center”.
Everything will burn given enough heat. Super Therm will provide a few extra minutes for you to either escape or get a fire extinguisher and call for help.
Designed with performance in mind
Super Therm® was developed in conjunction with the Marshall Space Center’s Technology Transfer program 25 years ago. Super Therm is a leader in the cool roof coating industry. It’s been through some of the most gruelling tests by mother nature and scientists world wide, and continues to come through with flying colors. This industry leader has been used on over 230 million square feet of commercial roofing, as well as homes, ships and buildings world wide. Now you, too, can benefit from the most effective ceramic insulation and weatherization coating on the market.
“The evidence is clear—functional coatings in the form of cool-roof and cool-wall products can provide substantial energy benefits in both new and retrofit buildings”. Allen Zielnik, senior consultant-weathering science in Atlas Material Testing Technology LLC’s global Consulting Solutions group, and senior consultant in the company’s Solar Energy Competence Center.
This is an attractive exterior or interior coating that goes on like paint and comes in many light to mid tone colors. It’s very
durable and will last 20 years, or more. You will be able to skip a repaint or two. It also acts as an air and moisture retarder so it will keep your home more comfortable and reduce energy costs. It also protects against wind driven rain and hail while letting your home breath. It’s like a fire proof Gor Tex jacket for your home of business.
This video shows how a contractor and home owner applies Super Therm on the asphalt shingles of his home.
This Energy use reduction test using Super Therm cool roof coating by the Florida Energy Assistance Conservation Program in Denver, Colorado.
- The building envelope related energy loads were reduced 26 to 30%.
- The thermal energy needed to heat or cool the building coated with Super Therm® required 26% less energy. 1,037 BTU’s vs. 766BTU’s.
- The percent of moisture getting in the building coated with Super Therm® would require less energy to maintain comfort levels.
- In every instance, the building coated with Super Therm® enhanced the performance of standard insulation products.
Conclusion: “This is the second (of three) time we have had the opportunity to test your product. It is rare that a single product will deliver such repeatable results in two totally different environments, South Florida and Denver Colorado, a true testimonial to your products Energy Star rating”. – Alexander E. Othmer, CEA, Director of Florida Energy Office’s ECAP Program.
Super Therm® is designed as a commercial roofing material for flat roofs. Used as a system it can cover and replace TPO, built up, PVC, modified bitumen, metal (with or without rust), shingles, SPF, and EPDM. The system can be used in new construction on nearly any substrate. Flat roofing is not it’s only use, as seen in the video. It can be tinted light colors and used as an exterior paint to improve water, air, moisture, heat and fire resistance. Doing all this at once results in significant energy savings, especially important in commercial buildings. It’s like a Gore Tex jacket for your building.
Real Results Stories
In this economy we all have to deal with reduced budgets. Anxious CFO’s and owners sometimes have a hard time seeing past the end of the month, much less planning for the future. Cost containment can sometimes be a knee jerk reaction instead of a solid plan. Here are some results from actual jobs using Super Therm® cool building coating you can take back to your team in your business to show how they can reduce their bottom line, for good, with one small investment.
1) Excellent Ice, as reported in March 2003 issue of Rink Magazine, Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. “Super Therm® was used on the walls of Excellent Ice, a pre-engineered metal building in Surrey, BC, Canada. As noted by director Dwane Lowermilk, ‘we have found that by using this product (Super Therm®) we have a 30% savings on our energy costs, which we sure appreciate. It is my experience that I can safely say this product meets it’s rate sheets and allowed us to present a great finished product'”.
2) Cumming New Life Church, Cumming, GA, 2008. They needed help with high electric bills coupled with cooling units running all the time and temperatures inside not going below 78°. Atlas Air and Heat Inc. performed a CHVC load calculation. They found 22.8 tons of cooling were needed, but the existing system could only produce 15 tons. Atlas Air and Heat suggested a ceramic roof coating by the trade name Super Therm which could be installed on the existing metal roof.
Super Therm® was sprayed on their roof July 1st, 2008. The power bill from September 2007 showed 11,320kwh’s used vs. September 2008 useage of 5,200kwh’s. The cooling tonage was retested at 16.97 tons. The church reduced their energy use by 55% and the amount of cooling needed by 26%.
3) Nissan Factory, Japan. The previous year they used 3,767 KW of electricity in May and 5,647 KW in June. After the
roof was coated with Super Therm®, the May reading was 519KW of electricity used and 1,896KW in June. An average savings of over 75%.
4) A Super Therm® federal project completed in Lakewood, CO: By coating the roof surface we were able to reduce the amount of heat transferring into the building by 9-12°F! The gentleman who produced the report also had this to say about the results of coating air handling units:
”I was tasked with measuring the effectiveness of Super Therm® on a large commercial air handling unit in Lakewood, CO. When we compared the coated unit to another identical, uncoated unit (in size, orientation and usage) there was a 34% reduction in cabinet temperature. (127° F vs. 83-85° F).
”The comment was made by building’s HVAC managers, that “this was the first season the second air chilling unit had not come on line”. That observation, along with the shown temperature reduction, validates Super Therm as an effective measure towards energy savings.
– Jim Ratliff, Strictly Thermal
Secret to the Sauce
Other ceramic coatings only use one kind of ceramic. Super Therm® uses four. 3,200 micro-ceramic particle variations were tested for Super Therm®. 21 years of testing and research led to the “ceramic compound” blend found to work the best, and are now used in Super Therm®. Each different ceramic particle is engineered to repel either 99.5% of infra-red radiation (57% of heat), 99% of the sun’s UV light (3% of heat), 92% of visible light (40% of heat) or be a non-conductor of heat.
The ceramics are suspended in a water based, low VOC resin formula that uses several different acrylics, and elastomeric and a polyurethane. The special blend of these resins gives Super Therm it’s ability to shed water, wind, moisture and air, resist dirt pick up and give it a tenacious hold on a surface.
Super Therm®– A proven leader in cool roof coatings
Super Therm is a leader in the cool roof coating field. It can be applied over most any roofing product with it’s system. It has a 70% market share in Japan, is used widely in Europe, South East Asia, the Middle East, Austrialia, and is growing in popularity back home in the States. Through 20 years of application and testing, Super Therm has proven to be the most effective insulation and weatherization coating on the market.
Super Therm® is an Energy Star approved 20yr “Cool Roof Coating”. The Energy Star program says the “EPA qualifies ‘paint’ only as a roof coating in our Roofs program (generally used for the top of a commercial building roof). Roof coatings are NOT insulation. They reflect solar heat off a roof rather than absorbing it keeping the building cooler”.
Insulation tries to resist the transfer of heat (the R value) once all the heat it can hold has already loaded into your home or building. Super Therm stops the heat from loading in the first place. Why rely on 70 year old technology when we can prevent the real problem – heat gain – with Super Therm? We can do better.
Because it is a certified Energy Star 20yr cool roof coating, it brings the same protection and effectiveness designed for commercial roofing directly to your building’s walls, storage tanks, HVAC units and ducts and unconditioned spaces.
It’s not good to be true. It’s just better science.
Benefits of Using Super Therm®:
- Energy savings – Super Therm® can provide energy savings of 20-70%, according to use and application.
- Super Therm® blocks 95% of solar heat from loading into your property.
- LEED points possible
- Building Envelope Optimization- it seals your building against excess air and moisture leakage. This dramatically increases how “tight” your property is.
- Blocks all three methods of heat transfer: Radiation, Convection and Conduction. Emmisivity of 0.91.
- Environmentally friendly – Super Therm® is certified environmentally safe and eco-effective by MBDC LLC (Gold Certificate). Low VOC rating of 21g/l, reduces repaints/re-roofs, reduces landfill waste, reduces green houses gases and lowers the carbon footprint of the property.
- Fire resistant with a class “A” fire rating – In case of fire, Super Therm® will not contribute and will resist the spread of fire and smoke. “0” Flame and smoke.
- Long lasting – Super Therm® has a 20+ year lifespan on roofing under normal conditions when applied as a system
- Sound deadening – blocks up to 68% of all sound waves. STC 39
- 10 year warranty available and 20 year expected life
- Blocks mold, mildew and wood rot
Super Therm® is UL, FM, DNV, ABS, IMO, USDA, Energy Star, ICC, California Home Furnishings, and U.S. Coast Guard and CRRC approved to meet criteria. Super Therm® is Energy Star qualified as a 20 year roof coating (page 87, Energy Star Roof Product List)
Japanese Institute of Standards: SUPER THERM® performance and durability has been proven over fifteen (15) years with a reduction in total reflectance of 19.4% and in visible light reflectance of 15.9%. Twenty-one other high reflectance coatings lost 30% of total reflectance after 571 days (1½ years).
ASTM Testing: Super Therm® Out-Performs Traditional Insulation
|The ASTM C-236 Heat Transfer (Guarded Hot Box) test was performed with Super Therm® to determine the BTU/in./sq.ft/hour/F and conductivity performance of Super Therm® so that a comparison could be made with traditional insulation. Since this test, many facts have come to light concerning the test methods and procedures used by the traditional insulation industry to demonstrate insulation (R) rating.|
|Test Temperature||Traditional insulation is only tested at 73°F because this is its optimum performance temperature. Rating is established on the batt material and “presumed” good for all levels of atmospheric temperature levels||Super Therm® has been tested at different levels of temperatures and in field studies. Its effectiveness is not altered by atmospheric conditions|
|Moisture Content||A moisture content of 1.5% in traditional insulation reduces its effectiveness by 35%||Super Therm® has been tested as a moisture barrier. It will not absorb moisture or water|
|Mold and Mildew||Moisture in fiberglass can cause mold and mildew development and thereby create airborne health problems||Super Therm® has been tested to resist and prevent mold and mildew from forming on its surface|
|Sound Transmittal||Very little sound deadening qualities||Super Therm® has been tested to reduce sound transmission and to deaden sound waves by up to 68%|
|ASTM Tests*||ASTM C-680 Test on “High Temperature Pipe Insulation 1200” Heat level: 200°F allowed 11.8 /in. /BTU /sq.ft. /hour /F to conduct through fiberglass||ASTM E1269 Specific Heat and ASTM E1461-92 diffusivity tests on Super Therm® Heat Level: 212°F allowed 3.99 /in /BTU /sq.ft. /hour /F to conduct through coating|
These results are astounding! Super Therm® is 296% more effective than traditional insulation under identical conditions and shown to be stable all day in field studies by Sony, UPS and others. * Tested by Owens Corning Insulation for Mechanical Systems 2002.
Super Therm® and HSC work well as in indoor – outdoor knock out combination punch for may insulation needs. It forms a non-conductive barrier preventing the loss of conductive heat from surfaces.
Better Painting is a full service painting contractor for residential, commercial and industrial painting. We are a certified dealer and applicator for Superior Products International, II Inc.’s line of commercial and industrial paint and coatings. We are also certified by SIKKENS and recommend PPG residential and commercial paint and coatings.